Employee Spotlight on Yuriy Baskin
For our seventh Employee Spotlight, we interviewed Yuriy Baskin, who is one of our Co-Op students at DPM.
Yuriy is a Co-Op student here at DPM Energy. This is Yuriy’s first professional position. Here, he learnt a great deal about time management, people management, Excel/VBA Code and every single IT issue anyone might face. He will be returning to the University of Toronto in September of 2020 to finish his degree in Materials Science Engineering.
- When did you start working at DPM?
A: May of 2019
- What has been your favorite project to work on and why?
A: Improving the audio/video capabilities as well as user interface software that would go into our boardrooms. It has been my favorite because it would have the biggest impact on the company out of all my other projects and improve everyone’s video conferencing experience.
- If you could pick one theme for DPM to turn into a book about the company, what would it be?
A: I guess a coming of age, DPM is still a young company and is clearly growing into something great.
- What advice do you have for new employees at DPM?
A: Get to know as many people as you can, everyone here is really cool.
- What three words would you use to describe DPM?
- What would the name of the autobiography of your life?
A: A peaceful chaos
- Do you have an office nickname?
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
A: Pay off my parent’s mortgage
- How do you define success?
A: Taking a step to improve your social and personal well being
- What would people never guess that you do in your role?
A: Make PowerPoints for Toronto Hydro.
- If you weren’t working at DPM, what would you do for a career?
A: Hopefully, a Materials Engineer.
- What was your first concert?
A: Post Malone
- What do you like most about your role?
A: The appreciation of co-workers when I resolve an issue that prevented them from finishing their work or hitting a deadline.
- What “Core 4” item resonates the most with you and why?
A: “How will we succeed?” Not being afraid to tackle and challenge, leveraging your experiences, and growth are all key things to not only a successful business but also your personal life.
- If you could witness one historical event, what would you want to see?
A: I wouldn’t necessarily want to live through it, but if I just got to watch everything unfold from a birds eye view I would say WW2.
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
A: Watch YouTube videos on whatever topic I am currently interested in.
- What trends do you see happening in the industry?
A: There is a definite shift to cleaner energy sources. I’m especially interested if things like Tesla’s solar roof become mainstream and how that would affect the energy grid.
- If you could have dinner with one person, living or dead, who would it be and why?
A: Jeff Bezos, it would be interesting to get a glimpse at the life of the mega rich.
- If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
A: Play Dota 2 on a professional level. There is a lot of money to be made.
- Since DPM doesn’t stand for anything, what would you make it an acronym for?
A: Design of Power ____. Can’t think of one for M…